Learn the basics of Sea Kayaking in the glorious surroundings of the North Wales coast
FoodSome provided. Details below
Difficulty LevelsMultiple options available
1 - 2
Fancy having a go at sea kayaking but never been in a kayak before? This is the course for you.
Our experienced, talented and enthusiastic coaches will introduce you to the basics of paddling and moving your kayak. You’ll also be introduced to safety, basic weather and tides; all this whilst journeying along the gloriously beautiful Anglesey coastline, in North Wales.
During this weekend course you’ll not only have a lot of fun doing an activity you may not have considered before, but you’ll build up the knowledge and skills needed to go to the next level. This could be the first two days of a passion that becomes a lifetime journey of adventure!
In a nutshell:
- Two days of sea kayaking for beginners, out on the Irish Sea off the coast of Anglesey, with expert instructors. All equipment is included.
- Accommodation and food provided by your Large Outdoors host, in accommodation you can relax in after all that time exploring!
- Meet a friendly group of people who are all at the same level, and who are all keen to get stuck in to a weekend of learning new skills.
- Enjoy the fantastic scenery of Snowdonia, with views of the mountains and lakes right on our doorstep.
Sea Kayaking Dates:
- Friday 18th – Sunday 20th October 2019
- Friday 5th – Sunday 7th June 2020
- Friday 10th – Sunday 12th July 2020
- Friday 14th – Sunday 16th August 2020
- Sunday 16th – Tuesday 18th August 2020
- Friday 25th – Sunday 27th September 2020
- Friday 23rd – Sunday 25th October 2020
You’re welcome to arrive at the guest house from 5pm, where your Large Outdoors host will be there to welcome you and introduce you to your fellow beginner sea kayakers! Then it’s time to relax in the lounge or perhaps head to a local pub for an after-dinner drink!
It’s time to head out to meet our instructors, where we’ll get kitted out for the day. We’ll then head down to the coast and get stuck in! Our instructors will choose the best location on the day depending on the weather and the sea conditions. You’ll be starting from the very beginning, and the sessions will be paced to make sure everyone is comfortable with each skill and the handling of the boats. Please be aware that if the weather is not kind then some sessions may occur on the local lake.
We’ll have a break for lunch and then head out for the afternoon, focusing on more skills and going on a journey along the coast, showing you some of the fantastic sights Anglesey and North Wales has to offer. If you know the area, you’ll see it from a whole new perspective!
After the day’s adventures have come to an end we’ll head back to the hostel to put the kettle on! You’ll soon be gathered in the lounge going over the day’s adventures and looking forward to Sunday. We’ll head out to a great local pub for our evening meal and this is not included in the price.
After breakfast we’ll prepare our packed lunches and leave the hostel for another day on the sea. What we cover today will very much depend on where we got to on Saturday, but we’ll aim to consolidate the skills you’ve learnt to take you on a proper jounrey along the coast in the sea kayaks, so you can get inspired and see why it’s such a great way of seeing the world! Make sure you look out for some of the fantastic local wildlife.
We’ll finish the weekend at around 4pm, but you’ll hopefully be leaving with a new passion for something you may not have had the confidence to try before. This could just be the beginning!
Good to know:
We’ll be staying in Dol Peris in Llanberis, the village that lies right at the foot of Snowdon. The guesthouse has a selection of shared, twin, double and single rooms; it has excellent views and a comfy lounge.
Traveling by Public Transport:
The nearest train station is Bangor, from here there is a direct bus to Llanberis that stops outside the hostel.
Kit lists – You can view our kit lists here…
For important information on what’s included with our standard trips, such as what food we supply, arrival times and answer to our most commonly asked questions please visit out our FAQ’s page
What’s Included / Not Included
- Hostel accommodation in single-sex shared rooms.
- Breakfast and packed lunch on Saturday and Sunday, dinner on Friday.
- A Large Outdoors host to organise the weekend.
- Full equipment rental for sea kayaking including wetsuits and all essential safety kit. You will need swimwear, towel and footwear.
- A selection of hot drinks for the weekend including tea, coffee and fruit teas.
- Alcoholic drinks and Saturday nights dinner.
- Travel to the hostel.
- Some travel during the weekend.
LL55 4HA Show me
What our members have to say...
Well, for a non-walker it was certainly challenging but my word was it exhilarating! The feeling of achievement after every day, was just fabulous. The group we went with were all strangers on day one, but firm friends by the end of the week. The comradery on some of the tougher walks, helped me to the top…..and wow what views. Anyone thinking of doing it - don’t worry….just go for it!ClaireMember Since 2016
My first Large Outdoors and (Ulster & the Giant's Causeway Walking Weekend) Irish experience was absolutely fantastic. Everything was organised perfectly and Gareth is a joy to be around. I loved every minute and will definitely book myself onto another trip. #toldallmyfriendstheyhavetocomeVanessaMember Since 2018
“I didn’t really know what to expect on my first ever walking holiday and wasn’t very prepared if truth be known – lesson to all read the essential kit list especially waterproofs! It was great fun and what a lovely group of supportive and encouraging people, especially Gareth who did a great job looking after us all. I must admit at times I found it a bit challenging but what a great sense of achievement when we reached the top of the mountains (hills) I will definitely do this again.ElizabethMember Since 2016