Kick of the winter blues with a social walking break in the Peak District...
FoodSome provided. Details below
Difficulty LevelsMultiple options available
1 - 3
Right, banish all thoughts of January and February being ‘blue months’. We’ve launched our Kickstarter Series to brighten things up and set you off striding into spring renewed, refreshed and ready to make the most of the year ahead.
We’re deploying our tried and tested technique that can be summed up thus:
Friendly bunch of people + walks in beautiful surroundings = feel-good factor that kickstarts new friendships, new adventures, new horizons etc etc.
We begin our series with the Mammoth Kickstarter – a weekend in the beautiful surroundings of the Peak District with a good old gathering of guests where we make the most of the delights of winter walking.
Our base is a magnificent country house set in 60 acres of wooded grands, a perfect venue for creating a positive ‘we can do this’ vibe.
Then over the coming weeks there are more Kickstarter gatherings where the only nod to ‘blue’ might be the frozen lakes or the beautiful icicles out in the countryside.
These events are equally great for newbie walkers as well as more experienced hikers as there will be plenty of options – from scenic strolls where tearooms and stately homes are likely to feature through to serious strides out into more challenging terrain.
BUT there are only 2.. When these are sold we move up a price bracket, with only a limited number of tickets at each price… Price will then increase as more people book..
In a nutshell:
- Feel a tad ‘gloaty’ knowing you’ve made the most of the last lingering winter months.
- Discover just how great winter walking can be.
- Mingle with a great bunch of people for a pop of merriment that enhances the feel-good factor.
- Friday 31st January – Sunday 2nd February 2020
For these weekends we have exclusive use of Ravenstor, a beautiful country house set in 60-acres of wooded grounds in the heart of the Peak District. With a spacious lounge, games area and a bar, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better place for a gathering.
Feel free to roll up any time after 5pm whereupon you’ll be greeted with a cup of tea and introductions to your fellow walking companions. While you socialise, we head into the kitchen to work our magic for the first night’s feast.
For those travelling by train, we will also provide a free shuttle collection from Buxton train station.
By the time breakfast is finished our guides will have devised a series of walks, the majority of which start straight from the door, that explore the lovely White Peaks area while suiting every type of walker. For instance:
- The confidence-booster – a walk that will be aimed at introducing people to the delights of walking in beautiful countryside. This will be more of a gentle amble with a number of pleasant distractions on route (tearooms being a prime one).
- The rambler – a more strenuous walk which is usually longer and packs in a variety of terrain.
- The strider – this is one for experienced walkers as it will be a full day with some tougher ascents and descents accompanied by the obligatory view stops to catch your breath, eat a sandwich and simply enjoy the vista.
To add to the day’s adventures we’ll also be offering some extra excursions and activities such as a visit to Chatsworth House, a beginners’ caving experience and an introduction to navigation for walkers. We’ll have more details on these nearer the time.
Phew, after all that, there’s still more. Once you’ve returned to base there’s time for a chill-out in the lounge before we serve up a three-course dinner that will no doubt be washed down with a drink or two as the chatter turns to merriment.
Today follows a similar format to Saturday. Expect a variety of walks including one heading into the grounds of Chatsworth; and a sprinkling of other excursions on offer before we head our separate ways in the afternoon.
Good to know:
Free Train Station Collection:
We will have a limited number of free collections from Buxton Train Station. We will be collecting at 3pm and then again at 7pm. These must be booked and are available on a first come first served basis.
- 2 nights hostel accommodation, please note bedding is supplied but you will need a towel
- 2 days of guided day walks – please note any excursions or other extra activities will incur an additional charge.
- Welcome meal on the Friday plus Saturday night evening meal. Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and then a packed lunch for Saturday.
- As well as meals, we also provide a variety of complimentary soft drinks and beverages – tea & coffee which includes herbal, fruit and decaffeinated options and fruit squashes.
SK17 8SS Show me
What our members have to say...
Well, for a non-walker it was certainly challenging but my word was it exhilarating! The feeling of achievement after every day, was just fabulous. The group we went with were all strangers on day one, but firm friends by the end of the week. The comradery on some of the tougher walks, helped me to the top…..and wow what views. Anyone thinking of doing it - don’t worry….just go for it!ClaireMember Since 2016
My first Large Outdoors and (Ulster & the Giant's Causeway Walking Weekend) Irish experience was absolutely fantastic. Everything was organised perfectly and Gareth is a joy to be around. I loved every minute and will definitely book myself onto another trip. #toldallmyfriendstheyhavetocomeVanessaMember Since 2018
“I didn’t really know what to expect on my first ever walking holiday and wasn’t very prepared if truth be known – lesson to all read the essential kit list especially waterproofs! It was great fun and what a lovely group of supportive and encouraging people, especially Gareth who did a great job looking after us all. I must admit at times I found it a bit challenging but what a great sense of achievement when we reached the top of the mountains (hills) I will definitely do this again.ElizabethMember Since 2016