Can you complete the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in 12 hours?
DurationSingle Day Event
Difficulty Level3 Three
Undoubtedly one of the UK’s most popular walking challenges, the Yorkshire Three Peaks takes place in the Yorkshire Dales. The Yorkshire Three Peaks is a circular route of roughly 25 miles and 1500m of ascent that summits three iconic peaks – Ingleborough, Whernside and Pen-y-Ghent. It is a stunning route that is attempted by thousands of people every year.
At Large Outdoors we run the largest secretion of open challenge dates with a guided walk on every Saturday (May – September) plus many other days. All that’s left is for you to start training and you’ll be well on your way!
Most people that attempt the challenge aim to do so within 12 hours, which is possible for anyone with reasonable fitness and the drive and determination to keep going for a full day in the hills.
In a nutshell:
- Join us for a fully guided day completing the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge.
- See the stunning scenery of the Yorkshire Dales, and enjoy the views without having to worry about navigation or dealing with incidents.
- There are two places to buy refreshments on the route, and we’ll give you time to grab a hot drink if you want one!
- All guides are fully qualified Mountain Leaders and are first aid trained
Yorkshire Three Peaks: Day Walk Dates – 2019
- Saturday 20th April and then every Saturday from the 4th of May through till Saturday 21st September.
- Sunday 2nd June, Sunday 28th July & Sunday 18th August.
- Book by the 5th of January 2019 and save £10 with our Early Bird tickets.
Charity challenges & Group Packages:
We can organise a private Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge on any day of the year. The main season is April to September, which makes the most of the available day light hours but with a private group we can arrange it to suit your needs.
Charities – We offer charity rates and discounts regardless of your numbers. With small groups we can issue the charity with a unique discount code, meaning your supporters book direct with us and there is no financial risk to the charity. If your looking for a larger group size we can arrange a bespoke challenge just for you.
Please contact the office to discuss our full range of charity and group packages.
We begin the challenge with the gradual walk up Ingleborough (723m), the first of the peaks. The relatively easy gradient of the first three miles is the perfect chance for you to warm up for the hours ahead. From the summit we descend the steep path into the valley beyond and almost immediately begin our ascent of Whernside (736m), the second peak and the highest of the three (also the highest point in Yorkshire!).
The descent from Whernside is an easy slope and you’ll be able to admire the incredible Ribblehead viaduct ahead, as well as the spectacular scenery of the Yorkshire Dales. Once past the viaduct, we’re more than half-way through, and then begins the long low-level stage, making our way along tracks and field paths towards Pen y Ghent (694m), the final peak.
The new path approaching this peak is a relief for tired legs and soon we’ll be on the summit, with just a short but steep descent and a wander through some fields before we’re back in Horton-in-Ribblesdale, roughly 12 hours after we left!
What’s Included – Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge:
- Support and back-up from the Large Outdoors team, from booking through to challenge.
- The largest selection of open and guided Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenges, allowing you to choose a date that suits you.
- Full access to our training guides, blogs, kit lists and discounts at a variety of nationwide outdoor stores.
- Dedicated Facebook page, packed full of information, advice and the perfect way to meet fellow challengers.
On the day:
- A qualified mountain leader to guide you every step of the way.
- Our guides are all first aid trained
- They are there to ensure you get the most of the day, from pointing out flora and fauna to offering you moral support when you need it most.
- Sociable walking group, make friends whilst helping each other through the challenge, our guided Yorkshire Three Peaks are perfect for solo challengers, groups, friends and couples.
- Completion certificate
Our guides will be there to greet you and complete our registration process. We meet in the car park to the rear of The Crown Hotel in the centre of Horton-in-Ribblesdale (between the two road bridges). It’s easy to find. There are toilets in the nearby main car park (please park here rather than in the pub car park). (postcode: BD24 0HE). The meeting location is in a private residential area so please be respectful whilst waiting.
Please do not park on the road in front of residents’ houses. There are plenty of pay and display car parks in the area which cost between £3-£5 for the day.
Yorkshire Three Peaks – FAQ’s
BD24 0HE Show me
What our members have to say...
My first Large Outdoors and (Ulster & the Giant's Causeway Walking Weekend) Irish experience was absolutely fantastic. Everything was organised perfectly and Gareth is a joy to be around. I loved every minute and will definitely book myself onto another trip. #toldallmyfriendstheyhavetocomeVanessaMember Since 2018
Well, for a non-walker it was certainly challenging but my word was it exhilarating! The feeling of achievement after every day, was just fabulous. The group we went with were all strangers on day one, but firm friends by the end of the week. The comradery on some of the tougher walks, helped me to the top…..and wow what views. Anyone thinking of doing it - don’t worry….just go for it!ClaireMember Since 2016
“I didn’t really know what to expect on my first ever walking holiday and wasn’t very prepared if truth be known – lesson to all read the essential kit list especially waterproofs! It was great fun and what a lovely group of supportive and encouraging people, especially Gareth who did a great job looking after us all. I must admit at times I found it a bit challenging but what a great sense of achievement when we reached the top of the mountains (hills) I will definitely do this again.ElizabethMember Since 2016